Hello, friends! So glad you’re here. I’m excited to bring you not only this post, but a little something extra to go with it! Be sure to read to the end and download my FREE Style Guide. In it, you’ll find:
- 5 closet staples you should always have on hand
- Where to shop them
- How to turn the staples into fail-proof outfits
- On-trend pieces to mix and match them with
- Bonus outfit ideas
If you have ever asked me anything about where I shop, building outfits, or anything style related, this is the post for you. Want even more style guidance? Check out this post and this post – keep in mind items in these posts may no longer be available, but they will give you some great tips and visual examples! *Please note that I did not link the clothing items in the guide. These are just included to give you some inspiration and ideas because eventually all of the items will sell out and become unavailable, even though the post will continue to float around on my blog, Pinterest, etc.*
When it comes to shopping, I am an equal opportunity kind of gal. I’ve shopped everywhere from my local dollar store to street vendor carts on Canal Street in New York. I love designer goods, but honestly, labels don’t matter as long as what you’re wearing makes you happy. So just know, when you ask me where I shop, it’s a mixed bag!
Places I shop when I’m in bed, scrolling…..
Even though many more retailers have started carrying plus sizes, they don’t all offer the option to shop it in store. Or they offer it in a limited number of locations, usually major cities. I live near Oklahoma City so guess what? I never get to shop in store at those retailers! *sad face* The good news is, after shopping with them a few times, I can get a pretty good feel for what will work and what won’t. Always check to see if they offer a free shipping option for in-store pickup, get on email lists for coupons, and note their return policies.
- Old Navy. Girlfriends, this is my go-to place for dresses! They offer so many different shapes and lengths, and when you catch a sale, you cannot beat their prices. I also enjoy some of their athlesiure and layering pieces but when I’m looking for a cute dress, one of my first stops is the Old Navy website.
- LOFT. I don’t think I’ve ever paid full price at LOFT. You know how Hobby Lobby always has a sale going on? Same thing. What I really love from LOFT are sweaters and ponchos. They do great ones every single year and the sizing is always on point, along with the quality. Their return policy can be tricky though, so make sure you read all the fine print!
- Nordstrom. I love Nordstrom, but sometimes the price point doesn’t love me back. But did you know they carry a brand called BP that is super afforadable? True story. I love the BP brand and it’s the first thing I check when Nordstrom does their huge anniversary sale in the summer. But if you’re in the mood to treat yourself, check out Barefoot Dreams during the sale! It’s as if angels floating on marshmallow clouds came down from heaven and gave you a hug. But like, in the form of a cardigan.
- Jessica London. Over on Instagram (be sure to follow me HERE) you’ve probably seen me talk about Jessica London. I work with them on monthly style campaigns and I have to tell you, they don’t get enough love! They are such a great option for extended sizing in work wear and things like pajamas and lounge wear. It sounds silly, but a cute pair of PJs that fit well are not always easy to come by when you’re plus size. Theirs are awesome!
***Bonus tip – if you’re pregnant, Old Navy goes up to 4X online (and in select stores) and saved my life when I was mega pregnant and couldn’t find what I wanted in maternity. I also lived in LOFT ponchos!
Places I shop at the mall…..
- Lane Bryant. It’s just the OG of plus size fashion, y’all. If you need it, you can probably find it at Lane Bryant. The price point can be a bit higher than other places, but the quality is awesome and the clothes are true to size. If you aren’t utilizing coupons and rewards from Lane Bryant, you should be. They also have huge sales, sometimes with a BOGO Free option on clearance. So if you like their clothes but it’s not in your budget, just remember to get on the email list to know when the best deals are going on.
- .JCPenney. I feel like JCP often tends to fly under the radar but listen…..there are hidden gems all over the place. I particularly love the brands a.n.a. and Boutique. A lot of the pieces I buy at JCP are trendy and of the moment, and I do that because they are almost always on sale and I have a coupon. Another thing you might not know is that JCP also offers extended sizing online, so if you see it in the store but it doesn’t fit, hop online and check for larger sizes than 3X.
- Forever 21. I know it probably seems ridiculous to shop at Forever 21 when I’m absolutely 36, but you just never know what kinds of fun things you’ll find there. I’ll be the first to admit sometimes their sizing is off, but when it’s on – it’s great. I don’t ever go into F21 expecting anything, which means when I do score something awesome, it’s that much more satisfying! Aside from clothing, I love F21 for accessories. Some of my favorite bags and sunglasses have come from there. My advice when shopping there is to know you may not find anything, but it’s worth stopping in because that may be the trip when you snag something you can’t live without!
Other favorites I’m obsessed with…..
- Walmart.I make no secret about my love for Walmart. I have shopped there for years and I know people think they just recently stepped up their game, but I have been finding hidden gems there for a long time. I actually have an entire blog post about shopping Walmart like a pro – you can read it HERE. The main plus size brand at Walmart is Terra and Sky. Sometimes they make items in the Time and Tru brand that go up to a 22, but they run smaller. I wish they would just make it all the same because I know women of all sizes who see things in one brand or the other that they wish fit them. The thing I love about Walmart is that they carry a great mix of basics and on-trend pieces. If you are on a really tight budget, you can truly outfit yourself and your family in great pieces at Walmart.
- Cato Fashions. They are a regional retailer, but if you have one near you, you have to check them out. They carry all sizes and their price point is fantastic. You can find everything from work wear, to denim, to shape wear, and lots of cute styles that reflect whatever is currently hot in fashion. They get new shipments weekly, and that means they move things out often, which means their clearance racks are always full of good deals. I do buy things at regular price from Cato, and I’ll tell you why – things sell fast there. If you see it in your size and you love it, you better grab it, because odds are, it will be gone quickly.
- Torrid. Remember when Torrid was just plus size Hot Topic? It is so, so much more than that nowadays and I am a huge fan. It can also be a bit more expensive than other places, but again, coupons and email lists are your friend! I love that they carry an amazing selection of wide width shoes and I love that they cater to so many different styles. Whether you’re very classic or preppy or boho or goth, they have something for you, and I think that’s awesome. They truly are an inclusive brand and we need more of that in all fashion, but especially plus size fashion.
- Boutiques. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – support your local boutiques and online boutiques. Especially if they carry plus sizes! Larger sizes cost more. They just do. So when a boutique owner decides to carry plus, they automatically pay more for those pieces. When you shop with them, it helps them continue to run their business and continue serving the plus size shopper.
- Places I love but don’t get to shop all the time. Belk and ELOQUII are absolutely it. I don’t have a Belk super close to me, but when I’m visiting a city with a huge Belk store, I always go. The Belk in the Dallas Galleria is my fave. I also love ELOQUII but there are zero stores in OK and the price point is more of a splurge for me. However, their clothes are stunning and the pieces I do have, I love.
- The place I want to try but haven’t yet. Hands down, Anthropologie! They now carry plus sizes and everything looks so beautiful online. Unfortunately the price point is beyond a splurge for me. I’m sure at some point I will buy myself something there, but for right now I just scroll the website and dream…..
Recent favorite outfits…..
If you’ve enjoyed this post, I think you’ll enjoy this even more – a little something from me to you! Click the link to download my FREE Style Guide: https://bit.ly/2kRLI96. It’s packed with ideas, tips, and visuals for creating a closet you love. I hope you enjoy!
In the meantime, where are your favorite places to shop? Let me know where I should be doing some retail therapy! Thanks so much for reading, and remember – the time to live your best life is RIGHT NOW!